Have we got a treat for you! In fact, we have 4 different treats for you today. Three are whole-food recipes from Registered Dietitian Nutritionist McKel Hill and one is a giveaway of her cookbook Nutrition Stripped. To get the recipes, just scroll down on this page. For a chance to win whole book, Nutrition Stripped, head on out to our Instagram account @PolarGlobal for more details.
The book giveaway closes on Monday, December 19, 2016. If you missed it, perhaps some healthy gingerbread protein pancakes will ease the pain.
Recipe #1: PLANTAIN FLATBREAD WITH POACHED EGG AND HONEY DRIZZLE
- 1 medium green/slightly yellow plantain, peeled and cut up
- 3 or 4 eggs
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish: thinly sliced chives
- Preheat the oven to 375 ̊F (190 °C). Grease a 9 × 9-inch baking pan with coconut oil.
- In a high-speed blender, combine the plantain, 2 of the eggs, and a pinch of salt and blend until smooth.
- Pour this mixture into the baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (or lift up the sides to check for doneness).
- Poach 1 or 2 eggs (depending on how many you are serving). Serve the plantain flatbread topped with the poached egg(s).
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and a drizzle of honey. Garnish as desired.
recipe #2: SOUTHERN STYLE SKILLET CORN BREAD
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- Optional add-ins: 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 350 ̊F (175 °C). Grease a 9- or 10-inch cast iron skillet or 13 × 9-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together 2 cups of the cornmeal, the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and pepper to taste. In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, maple syrup, oil, and vinegar. Stir in one of the optional add-ins if using.
- In a small bowl, toss the corn kernels with the remaining 2 tablespoons cornmeal to coat, then add to the dry ingredients. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared skillet and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cut into slices, squares, or simply break apart a serving with your hands.
Switch it up
To change up the flavor of your corn bread, add one of the following to the wet ingredients when making the batter:
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh rosemary, thyme, and sage
- 1/3 cup chopped apricots
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Recipe #3: CHOCOLATE FUDGE PALETAS
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 2 avocados
- Pinch of sea salt
- In a small saucepan, heat the coconut milk, cocoa powder, maple syrup, and instant espresso over medium heat, stirring to combine.
- Pour this mixture into a high-speed blender, add the avocado flesh and the salt, and blend until smooth. Adjust the salt and maple syrup to taste.
- Pour the mixture into ice pop molds, leaving about a 1/4-inch space at the top. Place the mold covering on top, and gently slide a wooden ice pop stick into each opening. Freeze overnight.
- To serve, run the molds under hot water just enough to loosen the paletas and enjoy.
If you liked this post, don’t forget to share so that others can find it, too.
Or give it a thumbs up!
I like this article
Please note that the information provided in the Polar Blog articles cannot replace individual advice from health professionals. Please consult your physician before starting a new fitness program.