Have we got a treat for you! In fact, we have 4 different treats for you today. Three are whole-food recipes from Registered Dietitian Nutritionist McKel Hill and one is a giveaway of her cookbook Nutrition Stripped. To get the recipes, just scroll down on this page. For a chance to win whole book, Nutrition Stripped, head on out to our Instagram account @PolarGlobal for more details.
The book giveaway closes on Monday, December 19, 2016. If you missed it, perhaps some healthy gingerbread protein pancakes will ease the pain.
Recipe #1: PLANTAIN FLATBREAD WITH POACHED EGG AND HONEY DRIZZLE
- Serves 1 or 2
- 1 medium green/slightly yellow plantain, peeled and cut up
- 3 or 4 eggs
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish: thinly sliced chives
- Preheat the oven to 375 ̊F (190 °C). Grease a 9 × 9-inch baking pan with coconut oil.
- In a high-speed blender, combine the plantain, 2 of the eggs, and a pinch of salt and blend until smooth.
- Pour this mixture into the baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (or lift up the sides to check for doneness).
- Poach 1 or 2 eggs (depending on how many you are serving). Serve the plantain flatbread topped with the poached egg(s).
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and a drizzle of honey. Garnish as desired.
recipe #2: SOUTHERN STYLE SKILLET CORN BREAD
- Serves 12
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- Optional add-ins: 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 350 ̊F (175 °C). Grease a 9- or 10-inch cast iron skillet or 13 × 9-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together 2 cups of the cornmeal, the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and pepper to taste. In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, maple syrup, oil, and vinegar. Stir in one of the optional add-ins if using.
- In a small bowl, toss the corn kernels with the remaining 2 tablespoons cornmeal to coat, then add to the dry ingredients. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared skillet and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cut into slices, squares, or simply break apart a serving with your hands.
Switch it up
To change up the flavor of your corn bread, add one of the following to the wet ingredients when making the batter:
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh rosemary, thyme, and sage
- 1/3 cup chopped apricots
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Recipe #3: CHOCOLATE FUDGE PALETAS
- Makes 6 paletas
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 2 avocados
- Pinch of sea salt
- In a small saucepan, heat the coconut milk, cocoa powder, maple syrup, and instant espresso over medium heat, stirring to combine.
- Pour this mixture into a high-speed blender, add the avocado flesh and the salt, and blend until smooth. Adjust the salt and maple syrup to taste.
- Pour the mixture into ice pop molds, leaving about a 1/4-inch space at the top. Place the mold covering on top, and gently slide a wooden ice pop stick into each opening. Freeze overnight.
- To serve, run the molds under hot water just enough to loosen the paletas and enjoy.