Personal trainer and qualified MMA Specialist Moses Bentley shares his favourite exercises to tone and sculpt your arms. Grab your dumbbells and let’s get started – you can achieve toned arms no matter what your age.
exercise tip for toned arms #1: Bench dips
One of my favourite exercises to target the triceps and pectoral muscles is the bench dip, which can be done using a gym bench or even a chair at home.
- To get in position, sit on your bench and place your hands down on either side of your hips with your fingers overlapping the edge of the bench.
- With your arms firmly in place and elbows bent out, lift your body off the bench and with your knees still bent in the sitting position walk forward until you can comfortably lower your hips down in front of the bench.
- From this position, lower your body 3–4 inches and then push back up using your arms to return to your starting position.
- Try 12 reps with 2–3 reps.
exercise tip for toned arms #2: Bicep Curls
Bicep curls can be done anywhere, anytime. Depending on what equipment you have available, you can either use a weight bar, dumbbells or even bottles of water.
- Stand up nice and straight with your legs shoulder width apart.
- With your elbows tucked in tight against your sides, hold your weights with your palms facing up, ideally at hip height.
- Engage your core and slowly and steadily bring the weights in and up towards your body up to your shoulders.
- Hold and then slowly with control, lower the weights back down to your starting position.
- Aim for 2–3 sets of 12 reps.
exercise tip for Toned arms #3: Dumbbell shoulder press
A dumbbell shoulder press will help tone and strengthen your shoulders, upper back and triceps.
- Ensure you are comfortable with the weight of your dumbbells. It is always better to work with a lower weight to begin with and work up to something heavier.
- With your dumbbells in hand, stand straight with your feet, shoulder width apart.
- With your palms facing forward and your elbows bent, raise your upper arms by your side until the dumbbells are at ear level.
- Engage your core and with control slowly push the dumbbells up over your head. I like to lightly tap the edges together, hold and then slowly lower your arms until the dumbbells are back to ear level.
- Aim for 2 – 3 sets of 12 reps.
exercise tip for toned arms #4: Triceps push back
- Stand nice and tall with your feet shoulder width apart and knees bent slightly.
- Hold your dumbbells by your side with your palms toward the body.
- Engage your core and bend forward slightly, keeping your back nice and straight.
- Push the dumbbells backwards approx. 1–2 feet and hold.
- Return your arms back to the starting position and repeat.
- Aim for 2–3 sets of 12 reps.
exercise tip for toned arms #5: Triceps extensions
Targeting only the triceps, the triceps extension is an easy and effective resistance exercise, providing great results.
- Grip one dumbbell using both hands and stand with your feet shoulder width apart.
- With your elbows slightly bent, slowly raise your arms up above and over your head – this is your starting position.
- Lower your forearms and the dumbbell behind your head.
- Bring your forearms back up to the starting position and repeat.
- Aim for 3 sets of 10 reps
Information in this article is not intended as medical advice and is the opinion of the featured athlete. Before pursuing any physical activity or program, you should consult with a medical professional.
If you liked this post, don’t forget to share so that others can find it, too.
Or give it a thumbs up!
I like this article
Please note that the information provided in the Polar Blog articles cannot replace individual advice from health professionals. Please consult your physician before starting a new fitness program.