At a glance
For those who want basic heart rate-based features to keep their fitness training simple.
- Shows when you’re improving fitness based on your heart rate
- Displays calories burned
- Comes with comfortable fabric transmitter and coded heart rate transmission to avoid cross-talk
›Smart Coaching Features
Lets you know exactly how many calories you’ve burned.
› DemoView demo
Ever wondered why people exercise with heart rate...and what exactly a heart rate monitor IS? This video answers those questions, showing how training with heart rate provides motivation to workout smarter, track your progress, get feedback and reach your personal fitness goals. Plus, we demonstrate what exactly a Polar training computer is and how it works. In this first half, were speaking with a busy mom - a mother of three with a full-time job - who's trying to get back into shape and needs some motivation.
Ever wondered why people exercise with heart rate? This video shows how training with heart rate provides guidance to train at the right level and get the best workout for your body - and your goals. We also show how a Polar training computer makes exercise more fun, helping you to see that any sport or active pursuit can be your workout. In this second half, we're speaking with a former college athlete turned busy lawyer and family man who's looking for training guidance as he gears up for his first triathlon and gets back into shape.
› FT4 Smart Coaching Features
Lets you know exactly how many calories you’ve burned.
OwnCal is the most accurate calorie counter on the market. It calculates the number of calories expended during a training session based on your weight, height, age, gender, your individual maximum heart rate (HRmax) and how hard you’re training.Tip for using OwnCal feature
- Automatic age-based target zone – bpm / %
To help you train safely and effectively, the training computer determines your heart rate target zone limits automatically according to your age-based maximum heart rate (220 minus age). The limits are determined either in beats per minute (bpm), as a percentage (%) of your maximum heart rate, or as a heart rate reserve (% HRR). See also Maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max) and Manual target zone.
- Average and maximum heart rate of training
- Heart rate – bpm / %Heart rate is the measurement of the work your heart does. Heart rate can be expressed as the number of beats per minute (bpm) or as a percentage (%) of your maximum heart rate.
- HR-based target zones with visual and audible alarmYou can define your target zones for a training session based on heart rate to help define the right intensity. When you are out of the preset zones, the training computer will give a visual and audible alarm.
- HRmax (user set)
- Manual target zone – bpm / %This feature enables you to define the target zone as you want and is suitable for your training. You can set the target zone for your training as beats per minute (bpm), as a percentage of your maximum heart rate, or as a percentage of your heart rate reserve (HRR%).
- Polar OwnCal® – calorie expenditurePolar OwnCal calculates the number of kilocalories expended during training. This feature allows you to follow the kilocalories expended during one training session and cumulative kilocalories expended during several training sessions. Some Polar products also estimate the fat-burning percentage (fat% on display), that is, kilocalories expended from fat during a workout which is expressed as a percentage of the total kilocalories burned.
- Polar OwnCode® (5kHz) – coded transmissionCoded heart rate transmission automatically locks in a code to transmit your heart rate to the training computer. The training computer picks up your heart rate from your transmitter only. Coding prevents interference from other training computers.
- Training files (with summaries) – 10
- TotalsTotals includes your training data starting from the last reset enabling you to follow your long-term training.
- HeartTouch – button-free operation of wrist unitWhen HeartTouch is on, different training information during training can be accessed without pressing buttons, for instance, when gloves make pressing buttons difficult, by bringing your training computer close to your transmitter.
- Graphical target zone indicatorThis feature points out graphically on the display the zone you are in during a training session helping you to stay on the desired intensity zone.
- Date and weekday indicator
- Display text in English, German, Finnish, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, and Italian
- Dual time zone
- Button Lock
- Low battery indicator
- Time of day (12/24h) with alarm and snooze
- User replaceable battery
- Water resistant – 30m
I love my FT4 heart rate monitor! I was skeptical about the belt and that it would interfere but I don't even notice it's there even when I am doing work on my stomach. I am very interested in how many calories I burn and if I don't burn enough, this little watch motivates me to do more exercise! I like how it stores the data and I can scroll through to see how I've done. The only thing I struggle with is that I often work outside of the range and then the "in range" calculation is not meaningful.
›Congrats for the creativity -Juliana
I really enjoyed the cake displayed by the watch in my birthday! I was laughing for a while after I saw it! Congrats for the creativity.
›fun to watch the calories burn off -R. Paliga
Being on a diet for a long time, the Polar ft4 helps me achieve the proper exercise activities...and it's fun to watch the calories burn off.
›Increased motivation to stay active -C. Urbina
I look forward to wearing my FT4 for all training and exercising purposes. Being able to see the calories burned add up, while being safe by keeping an eye on my heart rate, has given me increased motivation to stay active.
I grew tired of using the heart rate monitors that were built into the cardio machines that I used. On a cold morning it would sometimes take five or minutes for the monitor to work and even then who's to say that the registered heart rate was accurate? I finally purchased an FT4 and right from the start of my workout I know what my heart rate is and I know where I need to be so I can burn the most fat during my cardio workout. I have lost 18 lbs. and I couldn't be happier.
›It helps motivate me -M. Wilcox
With the FT4, I am able to track my progress toward my goals as I do my training with various cardio equipment at my gym. It helps motivate me and makes it much easier to keep track of where I am.
›Lost 28 lbs-- this product is GREAT! -D. Swanlund
I have lost 28 lbs since wearing my FT4. I wanted to know how many calories I was burning when do an activity and get the most for the activies I was choosing. I started out walking and soon found out that I needed to push harder to burn carlories. Than I got the opportunity to do Zumba. My instructor is continually introducing new rountines and my calorie burn goes up regularly, so I realize how important it is to change things, even though it is still Zumba, it is different moves. This way I can continue doing something I love. Without the FT4 I am sure I would not be pushing my self so hard, because I know what my zone is and when I go higher I am still alive! This product is GREAT!
I purchased the Ft4 for training my mind and body while striving to reach the finish line while raising money for different cancer, MS, and diabetes benefit rides. I am in the process of training for the MS 150 mile benefit ride next year. I find it as hard to get Sponsers as it is to train. If I am not at the gym on a spin cycle then I am out pushing myself on the back roads to keep motivated to keep the hope alive for the terminally ill and for the survivors as as someone did for me when I was diagnosed with cancer 5 years ago. There is a cure out there and I will always be trying to fund the people looking. It is the least I can do! My grandmother had breast cancer, and needed a 5 bypass. my mother is class 2 diabetic, two of my best friends are brittle diabetics, while one is waiting on a list for new kidneys. They are not the only reason I try and raise money. I do it for the children that have not fully experienced life yet.
When I started taking spin class over a year ago I found the workout very challenging. Although in the past I had always been active, over the last few years I hadn't been working out as hard or consistently as I needed and I could feel the difference. However, once I bought a Polar heart rate monitor, things started to change. I could easily track my heart rate and be certain I was in the correct heart rate zone for my body so the workouts felt good but I didn't overexert myself. With the Polar heart rate monitor as my guide, month after month I got stronger and leaner, losing 12 pounds and slimming down to a size 6. With my increased cardio strength, I decided to enter a half marathon event through Team in Training, something I didn't think I'd ever be able to do. I'm raising funds for a great cause and challenging myself physically in a whole new way. Recently I completed a 9-mile training run, the longest run I've ever completed in my life. I keep training every week, always wearing my Polar. The half marathon is Nov. 14th and I know I will be ready! I didn't know that by buying the Polar heart rate monitor I would end up on this path. I've found my way back to my inner athlete, and I feel stronger and healthier than I ever have. Who knew a little device could provide so much guidance and inspiration! Buying the Polar is one of the best decisions I've ever made. Thanks Polar!
›Helped me make sure I am training at the right level -E. Peasley
When I first began to use the FT4, I was thrilled that it showed me the amount of calories I burned as well as consistently showing my heart rate, and at the end, my average heart rate during my workout. This has helped me make sure I am training at the right level and that I am working hard enough. This is my second Polar product, and I am very pleased with it. :)
›Simple...nice...and right to the point -Kodakmommy
I just got the FT4 and love it already. Its simple...nice...and right to the point. I started my jerouny a year ago and lost 43 pds on my own,then I got hurt in an accident and but 20 back on...Happy to say the 20 is now off but i still have 40 pounds to be at my goal weight...thank you polar...I may also get the FT7 and then give my daughter my FT4 she is only 11 but she sees how important it is to keep an eye on your heart rate while walking, biking, swimming or anything not just for loseing weight but to be healthy and safe.
›Incredible! I bought this watch a few weeks back but used it for the first time this past Sunday and it's unbelievably easy to use. -Gabby
Incredible! I bought this watch a few weeks back but used it for the first time this past Sunday and it's unbelievably easy to use. There is no need to even read the manual because everything is just so simple. No BS, no crazy settings..it's great! It displays your calories burned, heart rate (both average and maximum), and also the duration of your workout. As a disclaimer, I'm not a fitness expert or anything close to it...just a teenage girl trying to lose weight and this is an overall amazing tool for me to have. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do. Worth the price, by the way!
›Helping me to keep track of my numbers -Gina Bautista
I got the pink one. Very easy to setup and configure. It's easy to use; after once or twice you get the hang of it. The more exhaustive documentation is online at the website. It's helping me to keep track of my numbers, get an idea of how I'm doing, and gage my progess. I wish it weren't so expensive, but it's definitely a very good tool and resource.
- Polar FT4 training computer
- Polar H1 heart rate sensor
- FT4 Getting Started Guide
Here are some other Polar training computers you might be interested in.